To rival a power-packed juice, you would need to throw together a salad so massive it would take all day before you’d see the bottom of the bowl. That’s why drinking our meals is a healthy alternative—you can get so many vitamins, minerals, proteins, and everything else you need from food, but can’t get from one meal.
Juices are a fantastic, on-the-go substitute for a nutritious snack or meal. I love green juice, beet juice, and other amazing combos. I also love smoothies—more of a fruity snack, but super healthy nonetheless. You can make them at home, get them delivered, buy them while out and about, or order them at most restaurants—they are all over the place these days, and with good reason.
Here are a few of my favorite combinations. Try a few out this summer and let me know what you think!
- Kick start your day. Frozen blueberries, one banana, chia seeds, ground flax seed, a scoop of almond butter, and cashew milk. This super foods breakfast will kick your butt into high gear in the morning. If you need more umph in the morning, throw in some maca—a non-caffeinated energy booster.
- Best served cold. Frozen mango, strawberries, pineapple, and acai, yogurt, ground flax, and chocolate almond milk. I love this deliciously cold smoothie any time of day. Hanging by the pool, or right before a killer workout—it’s so yummy and fills you up.
- Green Juice. Celery, kale, spinach, apple, lemon, and ginger. I personally find this one to be a tad bitter, and since I don't love bananas (a natural sweetener), I throw often throw in some dates or pineapple.
- Beet that. If you haven’t tried beet juice, then you really don't know what you’re missing! So sweet and yummy, you have to try it—beets, apple, honey, raspberries, and carrots. You can’t beet that!
- Taste of India. I love, love, love Indian flavours, so an Indian inspired smoothie… Why not? Dates, banana, chia seed, coconut milk, chai spices, cinnamon, and ginger.
There are literally infinite combos of amazingly nutritious juices and smoothies you can enjoy. They are cleansing and detoxing, and so clearly beneficial. You can make a drink that promotes energy, good skin, healthy sleep, weight loss, and the list goes on.
So, this summer, break out the juicer or blender and get things going with whatever you have in your fridge and pantry. You can spice things up by spiking favourite smoothie and sipping it poolside—a party in a cup!